Going fully web

This might be good to add in Call for feedback/contributions: PaaS as an adoption strategy – even though the original post is about one-click installs, that might still not be accessible for most people and so it would be nice if local technical people or communities can get instances running and receive payments. I’ve seen Mastodon instances use crowdfunding/patronage platforms like Patreon and Liberapay for voluntary contributions, so at least socially there is some kind of pattern for this.

Interesting. I see how this could be easy with a centralized service, but how would this work when it’s self-hosted? I imagine it being hard for each instance to manually route the money around, so there would need to be payout logic built into the server + integration with payment processors + scraping app pages for their manifest pay id thing?

This sounds similar to the monetization meta tag from the Web Monetization specification.

Thanks for watching. Yes, and yes; the metadata stored on the transaction is the project id, hashed identity, and ‘confirmation code’ (not always necessary, but it can help match transactions to storage accounts).

I don’t have much to add about cryptocurrencies. When I was considering it before, I always imagined using the API of some centralized service so that there’s one simple integration to receive any coins and also for recurring payments: I had these links bookmarked for the latter (some might be broken now):

I feel so strongly about this that I’m deliberating scrapping my Funding button approach and replacing with the Ghost Portal, which can be embedded on sites other than the Ghost domain, but I’m not sure yet if it can persist anything in the 3rd party local storage.

I wrote a little about why I’m trying to avoid this in a comparison of software for sustainable community. My approach might not be appropriate for everyone, but I’ve realized recently that I’m straddling between ‘patronage + community’ and ‘just pay for the thing anonymously’—leaning more into the former makes it more important to have at least an email address in a database, and simply having payment technology won’t be sufficient as there needs to be some kind of ‘home’ for your business relationship with them. I’ll try to write more in-depth about this at some point.

It’s pretty scattered, but the main library is OLSKFund with some wrappers for payment processor are in OLSKTrade. The server-side component is currently tied up in my personal website code, which isn’t public. You can look at the repo for any of my apps for examples of integration, which will also be pretty scattered… The simplest one might be Joybox. This “Integrate fund” commit was an attempt to provide a sense of the integration, but it’s likely incomplete—might be useful though.

1 Like