remoteStorage.js 1.0.0-alpha1

Hi everyone,

I just merged the noglobal branch, prepped some last things and pushed a new version. I didn’t create a release for this one on GitHub, and there’s also no CHANGELOG currently. As discussed, we can now just fix and complete everything in master step by step, and with more alpha releases.

The versioning scheme will be the same as with previous prereleases: 1.0.0-alpha1 is the current, then we increase in integers to -alpha2 etc., until we decide to tag a -beta1 and subsequently -rc1 or final.

Alphas are not meant to be stable or API-complete, while betas are meant to be both, but aren’t sufficiently tested in the wild yet, so they might also contain bigger bugs and APIs might still change. The first release candidate, if we decide to even do one, would be a sufficiently tested beta, which is basically a stable version with a disclaimer tag sticking to it. I’m not sure yet, if it even makes sense, because we probably have enough apps and scenarios that we can test the last beta with, so we wouldn’t have to bug devs to update their apps a lot before our 1.0.0 release.

Currently in the release/stable dir is the 0.14.0 release, while release/head contains a build from latest master now. I changed the package.json's main property to point to the HEAD release, because that one would be used from e.g. node, if you added rs.js from GitHub instead of npm. I didn’t publish anything to npm yet. Let me know in case you think this is not the best way to handle this right now.

Many thanks again to @les, who’s put in an incredible amount of effort to solve the library layout/module/loading situation!

2 Likes

I forgot to create the stable branch, but here it is now: https://github.com/remotestorage/remotestorage.js/tree/stable

We could actually make that one the default branch on GitHub for now. What do you think?

agree on putting stable as default branch until an RC will be ready in master branch

Yes, good idea :thumbsup:

Changed it. Thanks.

So now we can basically change whatever we want in master (README etc.) without thinking about current stable much.