Resumable file uploads

Because the server otherwise actually has to keep track of the sizes for putting the chunks together later. But there’s simply no need for it. Also, you can use Content-Length for the PUT of the chunk, because if you have a seperate URL per chunk by way of putting the part number in a query parameter, then every chunk can work just like a normal upload/PUT, with all of the normal headers and such.

But the server cannot know when the last byte was received, unless you tell it how many bytes and chunks you want to send beforehand. Except we just established that we want to start uploading before the client even knows how much its sending. This is one of the reasons why both Tus and S3 have extra requests for finishing multi-part uploads.

I guess the main question here is to decide if we even need content ranges and “normal” resumable uploads of a single resource in the first place, or if multi-part uploads are enough (because they’re also resumable). If the latter is the case, then we can define a simple protocol for that, and if we want to support both concepts then we might as well use Tus with extensions imo. (Except there’s still the issue of Tus not being designed to PUT specific resources to a URL, which would be a rather ugly difference to how the rest of RS works.)

Not sure why numbers would be better, you’d just lose a bit of information about the size of the payload

Because the server otherwise actually has to keep track of the sizes for putting the chunks together later. But there’s simply no need for it.

I’m not sure I understand why it’s easier to keep track of a sequence of arbitrary numbers vs a sequence of numbers of bytes.

Also, you can use Content-Length for the PUT of the chunk

We could do this anyway, right?

because if you have a seperate URL per chunk by way of putting the part number in a query parameter, then every chunk can work just like a normal upload/PUT, with all of the normal headers and such.

What would be the benefit to this as opposed to using Content-Length: bytes <range>-<range> / <total>?

I think the server should automatically handle a finished upload the minute the last byte is received

But the server cannot know when the last byte was received, unless you tell it how many bytes and chunks you want to send beforehand. Except we just established that we want to start uploading before the client even knows how much its sending. This is one of the reasons why both Tus and S3 have extra requests for finishing multi-part uploads.

Maybe there’s some confusion here, because i think @DougReeder hadn’t looked at the demo code before making that demo example himself. His example does nothing fundamentally different than the original example I wrote, except I was using a library that abstracts some of the FileReader interaction away but does essentially the same thing behind the scenes. (see: GitHub - kamichidu/js-chunked-file-reader: Library for reading file input as chunked for browser context).

Using either of the demos, you still have access to the file size from the very beginning. The only thing is question was memory usage, which it seems so far won’t be an issue thankfully.

I guess the main question here is to decide if we even need content ranges and “normal” resumable uploads of a single resource in the first place, or if multi-part uploads are enough (because they’re also resumable). If the latter is the case, then we can define a simple protocol for that, and if we want to support both concepts then we might as well use Tus with extensions imo. (Except there’s still the issue of Tus not being designed to PUT specific resources to a URL, which would be a rather ugly difference to how the rest of RS works.)

Unless we track byte ranges I don’t see how we could have resumable uploads, though multi-part uploads would work. Still, I don’t understand why using byte ranges is harder? It seems more flexible to me.

Because they’re not arbitrary. You have to keep track of the sort order in both cases, but in one case you also need to keep track of the byte range/length, in addition to the sort order.

I think when writing it down, it’s fairly obvious which concept is easier to work with:

1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 7, 6

or

0-50000, 100000-200000, 50001-100000, 200001-300000, 300001-400000, 500001-600000, 400001-500000

Also, we don’t need to introduce a new, non-standard Content-Range header if we don’t use ranges. We could of course also put the range in a query param, but again, I think it’s fairly obvious that a simple part number is easier for developers to work with when doing that.

Because they’re not arbitrary. You have to keep track of the sort order in both cases, but in one case you also need to keep track of the byte range/length, in addition to the sort order.

The byte range/length is the sort order though.

Unless we track byte ranges I don’t see how we could have resumable uploads, though multi-part uploads would work. Still, I don’t understand why using byte ranges is harder? It seems more flexible to me.

I think when writing it down, it’s fairly obvious which concept is easier to work with:

They are both ordered sets of numbers, when written down, byte ranges provide more clarity and information (especially when you take into account dynamically adjusted payload sizes) .

Also, we don’t need to introduce a new, non-standard Content-Range header if we don’t use ranges.

Content-Range headers are already part of the standard for downloads:Content-Range: <unit> <range-start>-<range-end>/<size> we would be using them exactly the same way except for uploads (which is why we’d use X-).

We could of course also put the range in a query param,

Either way we’re inventing an agreed upon work-around for something that isn’t standard, whether it’s query params or headers (IMHO headers would be much cleaner).

but again, I think it’s fairly obvious that a simple part number is easier for developers to work with when doing that.

Why? Because 300-500 is telling someone, “I’m missing bytes 300-500” whereas 3 just tells me they are missing payload 3. So either I’ve already discarded the info on payload 3or I’m essentially storing some object that says payload 3 was byte range 300-500.

If desired, it would still be possible to ask the server for when the single upload broke (in Tus you do a HEAD request to learn about how many bytes it received before the connection failure), and then submit your file again from there. This is possible both with a range or with a part number.

With multi-part uploads you’d just regard a failed chunk as sunk cost and re-upload the entire chunk. Those uploads are resumable in the sense that they can always fail and you don’t have to re-upload the entire object, but only the chunks that failed. And you could also theoretically pause an upload and submit more chunks later. They are not resumable in the sense that you can learn exactly how many bytes were transferred and then transfer exactly from the next byte on until the end of the file.

My point about choosing one approach that handles both was that if we only do, let’s call it Standard Tus uploads, then we don’t get parallel multi-part uploads. But if we do multi-part uploads, we get resumable uploads. And the most complex solution is having support for both, as with e.g. Tus + concat extension.

There are two major problems with that:

1. Content ranges on PUT are explicitly forbidden
  2. X headers are officially deprecated

That’s why Tus has its own custom headers.

There are two major problems with that:

1. Content ranges on PUT are explicitly forbidden
  2. X headers are officially deprecated
    That’s why Tus has its own custom headers.

Actually this prompted to me to do a bit more digging, and I came across some interested exceptions that might be important for us. See this post:

Essentially, if we’re appending to a file, we can use Content-Range and we could start the transfer with a Content-Length. Haven’t thought it through entirely, but it’s something to consider.

Did you mean Content-Range is forbidden on POST?

No, I mean PUT. The SO answer is actually wrong, Mark Nottingham (who should know it) said so as first comment, and the last comment on the answer explains why:

An origin server that allows PUT on a given target resource MUST send a 400 (Bad Request) response to a PUT request that contains a Content-Range header field (Section 4.2 of [RFC7233]), since the payload is likely to be partial content that has been mistakenly PUT as a full representation.

See RFC 7231 - Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content

Tus is actually using PATCH instead of PUT, for appending to the same resource.

Have you read through the entire Tus spec? I think it makes the different approaches I described much more clear.

Thanks for clarifying, it makes sense as PUT is actually an update (overwrite) of a file, not an append, so Content-Range should be rejected. Actually it totally makes sense to use PATCH (i’d forgotten about it) as it’s otherwise functionality not described within the HTTP nomenclature.

Given that, if we went with PATCH + Content-Range - addressing your previous concern, we could already give it the expected total file size up-front, and with every payload sent. What are your thoughts?

I forgot to add - the alternative you were proposing would be to use a series of POST payloads each with a unique resource name, then indicating with a HEAD after the fact to compile the pieces?

One scenario is when no acknowledgement is received after sending a chunk repeatedly (but the connection still appears to be up). One tack to take in such a case is to reduce the chunk size. However, that introduces the possibility of the receiver receiving a long chunk and a short chunk, starting at the same location. In that situation, byte ranges would be better than chunk index numbers.

Since TCP is already resending packets that fail, sending explicit chunks is with checksums is somewhat redundant.

A different approach is to allow the client to inquire about an apparently-failed upload, have the server respond with the length of file successfully received, and have the client re-send the remainder of the file.

I’ve implemented the client side of the last part - sending only the remainder of the file. The HTTP request won’t succeed unless you happen to have a server that accepts cross-domain posts from anywhere, but you can examine the HTTP request in the Network tab of your browser debugger. I’ve added some custom headers containing the MD-5 of the whole file, and the range of bytes being sent.
Pen: https://codepen.io/DougReeder/pen/GwRVxM
respoitory: https://github.com/DougReeder/ResumableUpload

PATCH cannot create a resource, which is why in Tus you create the upload via POST, and then PATCH the resource. Also, it is only linear as you cannot PATCH a single resource multiple times in parallel. So basically, if you use POST+PATCH, but you still want parallel uploads, then you need to implement multi-part/parallel uploads as an extra feature, as Tus does with the Concatenation extension. So you end up supporting two different concepts for resumable uploads, with the aggregated implementation complexity of both.

The alternative I meant was to do it similar to what S3 does with multi-part uploads, and because multi-part uploads are also resumable in a way, we could support only that approach, but have both performance and resumability reasonably covered.

The approach is to PUT parts to their own resource, and then tell the server when you’re done, so it can assemble the final resource. So for example you could do something like:

PUT /slvrbckt/videos/isle-de-goree.mpg?part=1 HTTP/1.1
Host: rs.example.com
Content-length: 100000
Content-MD5: ...

[a chunk]

S3 uses upload IDs in query params, too. So their final request is a POST containing a list of the parts (with ETags) to /slvrbckt/videos/isle-de-goree.mpg?uploadId=123. Some of the benefits are that there are no custom headers whatsoever and all request are just plain standard HTTP, and that you don’t need a linear upload queue on the client side.

With the Tus Concatenation extension, you upload to different resources and then send a special concatenation request to assemble the file:

POST /files HTTP/1.1
Upload-Concat: partial
Upload-Length: 5

POST /files HTTP/1.1
Upload-Concat: partial
Upload-Length: 6

PATCH /files/a HTTP/1.1
Upload-Offset: 0
Content-Length: 5

PATCH /files/b HTTP/1.1
Upload-Offset: 0
Content-Length: 6

POST /files HTTP/1.1
Upload-Concat: final;/files/a /files/b

HTTP/1.1 201 Created

But this has drawbacks as well, of course. The main one being that you need to keep track of uploads (hence S3’s upload IDs and eventual pruning of unfinished uploads). However, when you have linear PATCH requests, your file is always complete and you just stop appending more data to it when you’re done.

Personally, I’m not trying to convince anyone that multi-part uploads are the way to go. I’m just trying to get a complete picture of all available options and their benefits and drawbacks.

1 Like

I’m wondering now, if doing nothing but Tus Core with zero extensions wouldn’t be the simplest solution for now. For example:

• Create a file with PUT without adjusting the spec, but make it possible to append data by PATCHing it. Allow asking for offset as per Tus protocol (HEAD request)
  • Do not support parallel/multi-part uploads

Benefits:

1. This would make us API-compatible with Tus, and people could choose to use existing code/libs for both client and server functionality.
  2. Minimal API surface changes, only adding a few things to RS for being able to resume failed uploads, as well as streaming uploads by PATCHing in client-controlled chunks.
  3. The more people agreeing on Tus, the more likely it is (hopefully) that it’s going to be submitted to IETF. In which case we would then already rely on the right standard.

Drawbacks:

1. Have to use custom Tus headers that have nothing to with RS
  2. We’re relying on a standard that did not go through standards body review and processes

Summary of additions, afaics:

1. HEAD for retrieving offset after upload failure
  2. PATCH for appending content to an existing file (i.e. resume a failed upload)
  3. Add header to PUT for indicating resumable support
  4. Require server to keep partial files, if the client indicated Tus support in the PUT
  5. Add Tus as optional feature, explain it a bit, and ref/link their spec in an RFC-compatible way (find out if possible to rely on external spec if it’s not published by a standards body, but only on a random website). Alternatively, copy the relevant parts and define them in the RS spec.
  6. (optional) Tus protocol info in HEAD/PATCH/OPTIONS response headers (if we want to be officially compliant as Tus server, we need to add all their headers)

What do you think?

That

1. does what we need
  2. can be efficiently implemented in browsers (using fetch(), but not XHR, I think)
  3. has been refined, over years of use

Something functionally equivalent to the Tus headers would need to be sent, anyway.

That has my support.

It might be of value to make a branch with full Tus compliance, allowing easy comparison of the weight.

1 Like

The Tus Core way sounds good to me, too.

One question that I have: What happens when the client doesn’t complete the upload? Will the user have a partial file in their storage or should the server discard the file after a certain amount of time?
And related to that: Should a multipart file that is in the process of being uploaded already appear in the directory listing or only after the full upload has been completed?

Those are excellent questions, answers to which are indeed missing from my summary of spec changes!

In my opinion, the client should send a PUT with the intended Content-Length and what the server would assume to be the entire file. Then, if for whatever reason the server doesn’t receive that amount of bytes (and the reason can be that the client just doesn’t want to send it at once), it needs to wait for the client to finish the upload until the file is considered complete and thus appears in directory listings and such.

As the same version of a file should never be uploaded by two different clients at the same time, only the uploading client has to know about the partial file’s existence. Which it does, because it needs to keep track of what it sent successfully, until the upload is complete.

Expiring the partially uploaded file is actually specified in the Tus Expiration extension. So the question is if we want to allow one or more extensions from the start or not.

@silverbucket What do you think?

I agree, using Tus seems like the best option for us, but after reading through the Tus docs again, and maybe I’m slightly misunderstanding @raucao’s comments about POST to replace Creation, but most of the extensions seem pretty important:

Creation, Expiration, Checksum, Termination – everything aside from Concatenation basically, seem fairly important and we’d want to support. You could make the case that Termination could be dropped and covered with Expiration.

Does this add more complexity to implementation? What concerns are the main concerns with using extensions?

Maybe that’s because I never wrote anything about POST to replace creation? My proposal outlines how we don’t need the creation extension, because we already create files via PUT. The only change necessary to tell the server that the client wants a resumable upload is to add a Tus-Resumable header to that same PUT request.

I don’t see why any of those would be required to make resumable uploads work. They are optional extensions in Tus for a reason. So I think the question is if we want to allow some or all of them (except for creation) as the optional extensions that they are. (Which could be exactly what you said there, it’s just not entirely clear to me.)

If we all agree on Tus being a reasonable direction, then how about we start prototyping with Tus core and see where it takes us?