Android Client?

Hello,

I would like to use remoteStorage in an Android app that I am planning. Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this, or if it is recommended at all. The only client library I can see is remoteStorage.js. Maybe I could use that within Android somehow?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Colin

I don’t know any remoteStorage android’s implementation, but if you can choose an hybrid solution, remoteStorage.js supports cordova.

If you choose not to follow the easiest way, to write a native library from scratch is your other choice :stuck_out_tongue:

As @les said, if you’re planning to write your app in JavaScript, you can use remoteStorage.js. It has built-in support for Cordova. Meaning it uses the in-app browser plugin for the OAuth dialog when called from a Cordova app, and everything else just works the same in the background.

Writing your own client isn’t difficult per se. https://remotestorage.io/#explainer-protocol explains the gist of the protocol. I think the most difficult part would be proper offline support/sync, which comes for free with remoteStorage.js.

So, it really depends on your use case, your abilities, and your time/budget. Maybe you can give us some more details about the app and what exactly it would store/sync via RS?

I was planning to make a clipboard syncing app (e.g. between a PC and Android device) that uses remoteStorage to handle the transfer of data. There are other such apps, but as far as I can tell they all rely on trusting someone else’s server (if privacy is a concern). I would like to allow users of the app to decide how their data is handled.

Maybe there is a better technology for this?

I think implementing what I need out of the protocol in Java is not out of my reach and is probably what I will explore at this point.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

That definitely sounds simple enough to implement, as you’ll probably just store a single document for the clipboard content. So no complex directory tree sync is needed at all.