Another remoteStorage

Just stumbled upon remote.storage and left a comment on reddit, GitHub, and HN:

This looks great, congrats on your release :+1:t4:. Good that your server is also designed to be self-hosted. Have you considered making it available for ā€˜one-clickā€™ deploys?

I canā€™t help but think of the remoteStorage project thatā€™s been around since at least 2010 I guess itā€™s a reflection of how programmers tend to name thingsā€¦ Anyway maybe thereā€™s a way to connect the two projects when there are shared goals. The community project seeks to become an internet standard. Will also post this elsewhere as Iā€™m not sure which channel is best.

Thanks for the community service @rosana. Unfortunately I didnā€™t see your messages and wasted a bunch of time because of these FrigateHQ assholes.

Hopefully some entity associated with this project owns a trademark and can get NPM, github, etc make FrigadeHQ change their name.

Welcome to the community, @dustin!

Please refrain from calling people names on the forums here. This place should stay inviting to everyone, including and especially to people who currently hold different or controversial views regarding any aspect of this or other projects. Itā€™s only through communication that we can resolve differences to the benefit of everyone. Thank you. :pray:

No entity that I know of owns a trademark for the name. It might be a good idea to start watching new registrations in some automated fashion, at least in the U.S. and EU, so that there wonā€™t be any surprises in the future. Maybe someone here knows how to do this?

Either way, I think itā€™s also not beneficial for this new project that when people try to find it, the only thing they find is websites related to this one instead.

So, anyone having been confused by the re-use of the remoteStorage name, please leave your feedback under the above-linked GitHub issue, or the announcement posts elsewhere! The more people confirm that this is an issue for them, the sooner it can be re-opened and resolved by the people who created the situation.

1 Like

Either way, I think itā€™s also not beneficial for this new project that when people try to find it, the only thing they find is websites related to this one instead.

Well thatā€™s wishful thinking. FrigadeHQā€™s remoteStorage is the second hit when I google ā€œremotestorageā€. They are better at marketing and their website is slick. Their API is also easier to get started with; a single page of readme.md gets you going. They have 40% the star count on github compared to remotestorage.js, despite being around for less than 2 months.

Iā€™d even heard of and looked into remoteStorage before getting fooled by them. The reason I started using their thing was because another dev got fooled too: Sync chats across machines Ā· Issue #364 Ā· Niek/chatgpt-web Ā· GitHub.