DIF Identity Hubs

I just stumbled upon the decentralized identity foundation (DIF) announcing their own kind of personal data stores, and there’s a lot of overlap with RS:

All details in the linked blog post: Identity Hubs as personal datastores

They also use JSON-LD for data formats, but also their storage only allows for JSON documents at this point. The permission model for sharing data looks interesting to me, but I haven’t looked into it in depth yet.

The whitepaper sure is full of stock photo fluff :).

There is a pretty good write-up on DIDs I read through before: https://medium.com/@adam_14796/understanding-decentralized-ids-dids-839798b91809.

Feels like DIDs are more targeted towards verification of claims for pseudonymous entities whereby webfinger and WebID/Solid don’t really try to address that.

Although I’ve forked RS’s armadietto and am trying to shove pseudonymous authorization into webfinger–and I think it’s an OK idea ;).

Interesting! I had a quick look, but it’s a lot to take in. It sounds like you’re adding payments for storage into the protocol somehow, so that users don’t have to sign up and pay on a different system or website, correct? If so, that could also be useful for RS servers, of course.

I’ll start a new thread once I have more done–hate to hijack–but just to quickly introduce before we get back to talking DIDs and DIFs :).

Yes, exactly that, payment to the storage provider, but also to enable payment tiers to the Web application provider if the Web app has critical code paths that depend on “delegated” data (data owned by Web app provider but delegated to users upon authorization).

I figure something like RS with the above is needed to enable all three qualities of this “pick-two” triangle if we consider bad actors decompiling browser code.