I have been doing some research into copyright and techniques to optimizing content monetization platforms; developed a philosophy with associate design, and after encountering remoteStorage, decided to adopt the unhosted paradigm in architectural implementation. The technical roadmap seems promising in theory (though I still need external validation), and indeed scalability is one of the strengths of unhosted paradigm.
The goal is to design a platform embodying the core philosophy, which I have detailed in this blog post. I also wrote briefly on interface and architectural implementation, though not very comprehensively, but hopefully the core ideas were communicated properly. The intention is to request collaboration from more experienced developers to develop the project adequately, either as open source or under certain agreements, whichever emerges suitable. Also if accommodating, I would like some feedback on the technicalities, feasibility, potential gotcha’s, and setbacks/drawbacks to developing such a platform.
From its conception, I always wanted such a project developed more competently and professionally than the side/personal projects I have developed over the years. In truth, this project is the reason I pursued software development earnestly. I am mostly self-taught, and having assessed my skillset, I am quite convinced I am unfit to lead a such project, if I want to avoid pitfalls, management, scalability, and other issues later on. For this reason I wish this project to be lead by more experienced developers than myself, but I want to be involved like maybe in the role of a junior-mid developer, completing some tasks here and now to contribute. If this flys, I feel it would be advantageous to my career, giving me opportunity to gain experience in professional workflows of design, collaboration, and delegated tasks.
I understand the demands of such a project can be enormous; as a commercialized platform (which can scale quite large), there are external technicalities to be sorted - the few I can think of:
- What legal contracts need to be formalized for project commencement?
- Does the project need external funding (venture capital, crowdfunding)?
- Do special matters on schedule and deadlines need to be constructed?
- What type of team to be assembled in order to maintain the project?
I do not think, I have the answers to these, so any feedback will be appreciated. In addition, technical questions which I would also appreciate insight include:
- Should the project repository be public or private? Can it be public if possible?
- What license should the project adopt?
- As remoteStorage is still a draft protocol, is it advisable to power such a large production-type project with the protocol?
- Can the unhosted paradigm actually power such a platform without latent complications at some point?
I would greatly appreciate discussing this topic at length, and should the project pass assessments and gain approval, I would like the adopted technologies accommodate my preferences , at least in prototype design. I would also like to communicate more on architectural design.