RS Inspektor: A simple remoteStorage file browser

Hi everyone,

I’ve been dissatisfied with the outdated RS browser example, so I spent some time recently to create a new RS file browser application, based on Ember.js and the latest remoteStorage.js and widget. You can give it a go right now if you’re interested:

From the README:

Inspektor is a simple file browser for inspecting the contents of a remoteStorage account. It is intended for RS app developers and power users.

Inspektor is beta software and currently under development. You’re invited to contribute and/or give feedback: Sebastian Kippe / inspektor · GitLab

Features

• Connect RS accounts
  • Traverse/inspect directories
  • View document details
  • Render images in details
  • Render text content in details (e.g. JSON)
  • Render other types content (e.g. audio and video)
  • Edit text content (and save changes)
  • Delete documents
  • Delete directories
  • Copy/move documents
  • Copy/move directories (and enclosed files)
  • Loading indicator for any view change that loads remote data
  • Logo/icon

Screenshots

I hope very much that this is useful to other people as well!

:heart:

3 Likes

Awesome! much improved!

1 Like

I just deployed a new version with considerably improved connection handling.

You can now follow updates to Inspektor by subscribing to the GitLab releases/tags: https://gitlab.com/skddc/inspektor/tags

I played around with the idea of using the widget only for the connect dialog and re-auth screen (for expired/revoked tokens). That’s why I implemented the skipInitial config option for the widget. Interested in what you think about it:

Inspektor now has a handy tree view for JSON documents, as well as some other features like being able to hide the sidebar, and deleting all docs in a folder:

Just found this and it is amazing. I was surprised to see how well it looks and handle different kinds of data.

1 Like

I’ve just noticed that newlines in files are not being rendered. Is that something that can be improved? Perhaps a single white-space: pre; CSS rule or something similar can make this 1000% better.

Could you post an example? Newlines would usually be shown as \n, because the preview is meant to show the actual source of the file, not what a system renders from it.

Fantastic tool, helps development and debugging a lot, thanks a bunch <3

1 Like

If that’s the case, then it’s working properly. No need to post an example. Everything is as expected.

1 Like

I just tagged version 0.9.0.

Changes:

• Render audio and video players in file preview
  • Allow editing of JSON documents in a tree view editor
  • Add button for opening public docs in a new tab
  • Improve button styles and colors
  • Update RS widget