@xangelo's thoughts on remoteStorage + Hyperdraft

I just saw his message in the other thread and it reminded me to post this here. He wrote his first impressions of using Hyperdraft and self-hosted Armadietto. Please welcome to my friend @xangelo to the community! <3

https://xangelo.hmm.garden/01f5zz6v14e2hrd540qbyx677z

Initial Experience

I spent some time reading up on remoteStorage2 and it’s definitely an interesting setup. The idea is that you provide a very simple OAuth interface over-top of some minor interface standardization and it allows apps to talk to any server, simply by pointing your account over to it.

I still need to set some time up to go over the actual spec, but for a test I just utilized 5apps3 which offers free remoteStorage space during their public beta. Eventually if hyperdraft ends up being a more serious part of my toolset I’ll probably remoteStorage over to my own server and see about running my own hyperdraft instance.

Self hosting Remote Storage

Of course, while Hyperdraft and 5apps is a great starting point, to really control your data you also have to control the storage. To that effect, I knew I’d end up running my own remoteStorage backend at some point.

Thankfully that was made very easy by the wonderful Armadietto4. I won’t re-hash the docs, but it was trivial to get running. I would recommend running nginx as a reverse proxy and enabling SSL for some additional security.

But once that was done, I was able to disconnect my app from 5apps and reconnect it to my personal remote storage server.

One thing I would have liked is a bit of a heads up on the fact that connecting to a new storage engine doesn’t do any kind of data migration between servers. Instead it just acts as a clean slate and syncs down the content from the remote server. I don’t think the app needs to do any kind of data cleanup/merging but I didn’t expect my content to disappear once the remote was gone.

1 Like