Article (also) about Remote Storage

I intent to publish an article about alternative approaches to dev.to. I thought I let you know in advance, so you can check if the information is wrong or misleading. Let me know what you think about it:

1 Like

Nice summary!

I just noticed this line:

all the example real world apps seem to be broken to some extent

As the author (and daily user) of 3 of those apps, I’m not aware of any obvious breakage with them. Could you please report the issues you’re seeing with Webmarks, Sharesome, and Inspektor, so I can investigate?

The former two are on GitHub (Webmarks issues, Sharesome issues), but the latter is on a Gitea with currently closed registrations. However, there’s a topic here on the forums for Inspektor.

Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback! I’ll probably should tweak the line to “some of the real world apps I tested”

I created an issue for Webmarks. But I weren’t able to test Sharesome and Inspektor properly, because my email address doesn’t seem to get recognized (after registering of course).

Should I post this to both of the projects or someplace else?

Screenshot from 2020-05-13 11-10-18

Also I am unable to create a 5apps localstorage account via bitbucket.

But I weren’t able to test Sharesome and Inspektor properly, because my email address doesn’t seem to get recognized (after registering of course)

This is not a problem with any of the apps. It looks like you’re trying to use your RS account’s email address instead of your account’s user address!

If it says there’s no storage information, that means that the Webfinger entry for the address you’re typing is either non-existent, or doesn’t contain RS information. You can verify this here e.g.:

https://webfinger.net/lookup/?resource=tony@5apps.com

Replace tony@5apps.com with whatever you’re trying in the connect widget.

Also I am unable to create a 5apps localstorage account via bitbucket.

I’m sure you mean remoteStorage (not localStorage) account. It’s possible that there’s an issue with Bitbucket and 5apps signups, because Bitbucket are changing their APIs sometimes, and we don’t have many Bitbucket users. Please just create an account with your email address, or one of the other options, in the meantime. We have a support site for reporting any bugs with 5apps services at help.5apps.com. (This is also not an issue with any of the apps, of course.)

This makes sense. Sorry, haven’t used this in quite a while. Maybe my mistake is a good indicator that this could be a little bit more intuitive to the user, if nothing else :wink:

With the correct credentials the apps work fine (apart from the issue I opened).

1 Like

Cool.

By the way, I can confirm that there’s an issue with the Bitbucket OAuth over at 5apps, and I created an issue for that on our private tracker.